We plan exciting events and activities all semester long for international students to have a great experience while in Canada
Welcome to the University of Alberta and to Canada. We also welcome you to the International Friendship Group! We hope this club will be your home away from home. We come from many countries and backgrounds. The sponsors of this club are Christians but ALL cultures and beliefs are welcome!
We have a number of exciting activities this summer and we would love for you to join us.
We will send out more information via email as each of these dates approach to give you all the details. You can also check back for updates, visit our Facebook page at IFG Edmonton - International Friendship Group or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a look at what we have coming up!
1. The Siebert Family Weekend camping
We are inviting a smaller group of students to go camping for the weekend. Would you like to join us? We have room for a few students. Our family is going camping for two nights Friday, May 25 and Saturday, May 26 at Rainbow Valley campground (near Snow Valley near our home) in Edmonton. We'll relax, play games, maybe do a short hike, possibly sing and have Bible discussions, cook together, etc.
We would start with supper at about 6:30 PM on Friday. (We could pick you up at Southgate Mall LRT station at 6:15 PM).
You would sleep in tents so you would need to bring blankets or sleeping bags, etc. (We have the tents). There are nice bathrooms with showers there.
The cost would be $30 for the weekend for everything. We will leave on Sunday morning to attend our church gathering. You would be welcome to join us, or we could drop you off at the train on our way (9:30 AM).
Please let us know very soon if you want to join us by contacting James at email@example.com
2. BBQ on Monday, May 28 at 5:30 PM at Hawrelak Park
We are welcoming students from the various InterVarsity groups on campus to come for a fun evening of games and a BBQ! We hope to have soccer, frisbee, and other games. We will provide the meat! You are welcome to bring some snacks/sides (ie. Salad, cookies, chips, 2L pop, fruit, etc. If you would like to come, please Register Here!
3. Camping Trip June 8-10 in Entwistle, AB
We have been invited by a church to go camping with them. We look forward to going June 8-10 with Entwistle Community Church in Entwistle, AB (about one hour away from Edmonton)
Games, hiking, enjoying evening campfires with music and Bible discussions are some of the activities you can expect.
The cost is $100 and this includes transportation, meals, etc. (everything!)
We plan to leave Edmonton on Friday afternoon at 3 PM and leave Entwistle on Sunday at 3:30 or 4 PM. We will arrive back in Edmonton around 5 or 5:30 PM.
Here are some learning opportunities that may be of interest to you:
1. Would you like to practice conversational English once a week with Canadians? Emma and Daniel lead Conversational English on Mondays from 2-3 PM in the IFG office at 8901 HUB. Contact Emma Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Lighthouse Café – Free coffee, hot chocolate, tea and snacks. Relax, Make friends, Practice English, and Discuss Beliefs. Some Fridays 7-9 PM in HUB mall. Contact James at email@example.com
3. Free Supper, Fun, Conversation, and optional Bible Discussion on some Fridays at 6:30 PM at James & Ann Siebert’s house. For more info contact James at firstname.lastname@example.org
4. ESL Conversation Cafe every Wednesday until Nov. 22 from 7-8:30 PM at Fellowship Baptist Church at 14323-107A Avenue. For more info call (780) 454-8733.
5. English as a Second Language (ESL) on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12:30-2:30 PM at West Edmonton Christian Assembly at 6315-199 Street. It costs $100 for 8 weeks (16 classes) For more info go to http://weca.com/about-weca/esl/
6. Practice Conversational English with Canadian students who are native English speakers one-on-one or in small groups. Come on Monday mornings 9-11:00 a.m. in Rutherford Lounge. Contact Emma at email@example.com
7. English Conversation Café on Saturdays from 10-11:30 AM starting mid September to early May at Bethel Gospel Chapel at 11461-95 St. New English speakers of all backgrounds can practice speaking English, make friends, and learn about Western Canadian culture.
8. Conversational English and Bible Discussion hosted by FOCUS club on Tuesdays 11AM-1PM in SUB 0-48. Please contact Jeremy at firstname.lastname@example.org