We plan exciting events and activities all semester long for international students to have a great experience while in Canada
We have a number of exciting activities coming up this semester and we would love for you to join us!
We will send out more information via email as each of these dates approach to give you all the details. You can also check back for updates, visit our Facebook page at IFG Edmonton - International Friendship Group or email Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some other possibilities for fun gatherings could be baking nights, an evening of sharing about the countries and communities we come from, a conversation between our group and other religious groups, and more! Have a look at what we have coming up!
Currently we are not doing group activities where we meet in person. We will do a number of things on Zoom.
Activities in March!
1. Baking without an oven! 7-9pm on Friday March 5th. Join us to learn how to make a delicious dessert with only a few ingredients and a mug in the microwave! Boon will be teaching us how to bake even if we don't have an oven. Contact Melissa at email@example.com for the zoom link.
2. Come and join us for Alpha on Wednesday evenings at 6:45-8:30 PM. Alpha is a place where we get to ask questions about where you find hope, what motivates you, is there more to life than our current circumstances? There will be a short video explaining the Christian world view on a question, and then lots of time for you to share your thoughts and beliefs. It is a great way to make friends, practice English and connect with your peers. This is an open, no-pressure video/discussion about life, faith, and God on Zoom! We often play games afterwards. Contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org for the link to join.
3. Come join us for our Alpha Weekend! On March 12-13th we will be having a virtual Alpha weekend where we will continue to build friendship and where we get to ask our questions about the Holy Spirit.
4. Join us for a night of Escaping from virtual rooms. We will be having an Escape Room Night on March 19th from 7-9pm. If you have never tried this activity before no worries, there will be instructions and you will be working with a small group to escape from your online room. It is a great opportunity to figure out puzzles and work together. There will be shorter escape rooms and longer ones to choose from. Contact Josephine (email@example.com) for the zoom link and more information.
5. Would you like to pray with someone?
Want to pray with someone? We like to pray together on Thursdays from 2-3 PM on Zoom. Welcome to join us. Contact Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org for the link to join.
6. Rise 'n' Shine Daily Devotional
Welcome to Rise 'n Shine with Boon every morning at 8:30 AM for no more than 15 minutes. There will be an encouraging/challenging reading from the Bible and prayer for the day! Contact Boon at email@example.com for more info.
7. Conversational English
Want to practice your English? We welcome you to hang out and chat with us. We have some options.
8. Bible Discussions for Believers
We have monthly discussions geared for students who are followers of Jesus. We are studying in the book of Colossians. Here are the dates:
These will be on Zoom currently. Contact Melissa Chettle for more info: firstname.lastname@example.org
Want to hang out and chat?
We are happy to hang out and chat (at a distance). Contact Melissa at email@example.com. If you are interested, let us know some possible times you are free.
The following is NOT an IFG program, but we thought you may be interested:
Would you like to meet other people and practice speaking English?
Come to weekly (FREE!) Conversation Cafe! Hosted by Connecting Streams (part of Power to Change), at Conversation Cafe you can have the opportunity to:
Sessions are 1 and 1/2 hour each, and everyone will be together for the first 10 minutes, before students are matched with a volunteer English helper and placed into groups of 3 or 4.
Dinners in a Canadian Home (during non-COVID times)
Once a month during the school year, James & Ann Siebert open up their home on a Friday night to welcome International students for supper. A great way to enjoy Canadian hospitality while making new friends and practicing English! Students are welcomed to participate in an optional Bible discussion after the meal. Other students visit and play games.
Trips (during non-COVID times)
Several trips are planned throughout the year to provide great opportunities to see parts of western Canada! We have done Farm Trips, trips to Pioneer Ranch Camp at Crimson Lake, International Christmas Camps, and trips to the Rocky Mountains.